Looking to do More Research


The following are excerpts from emails I wrote to a Catholic Education scholar regarding my own reflections and research and what I Hope to study more in the future.
“I am looking for a chance to study theology, however the theology that I want to research is of direct benefit to education. Essentially, I am talking about researching exactly why Catholic schools exist. I tell theologians that education is an evangelical opportunity, not necessarily in a "common" sense of the word. But education, Catholic education in particular, is an opportunity for students and teachers, alike, to encounter the Truth of God and the Truth of themselves beyond the curriculum. Catholic identity, I believe, has less to do with the narrative of the classroom or the school and more to do with the meta-pedagogy or philosophy of the Catholic school. What I want to do is research this concept and provide materials for "forming" Catholic school teachers not simply to create physical environments in which students can encounter Jesus Christ, but to form personal relationships in which that encounter can occur. Most Catholic school teachers and administrators focus a great deal on Catholic Identity as something that can be "created" in the hallways or in the classroom or in a mission statement... this is only part of it. Catholic Identity is a Virtue that must be formed, not simply in the exterior or material Truth of the school or the student or even the teacher... it is a disposition that must for formed in the character of the teachers and faculty first so they can become a relational encounter with Jesus Christ for their students. Already my research is showing that, from a theo- anthropological perspective, this is how Catholic education becomes evangelical.”
St. Mary's Pro Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland. Most Catholic Churches place the Tabernacle as the focal point on the building, inviting all who enter to orient themselves toward the real presence of Jesus Christ. If we choose to orient ourselves to Him, it can chance how we Love ourselves, others, creation, and Him. (photo P. Smith)

“You describe the need for teachers to consider their own relationship with Jesus Christ and how that relationship affects their vocation as teachers. I explain it by saying that every morning the first thing I do when I get to school is to pray for my students BY NAME before the Blessed Sacrament, often reminding myself that if Jesus can Love that one "problem" student, then I am called to do the same. It creates in me (or any teacher who does this) a disposition or default characteristic of pastoral Love by which I (or any teacher) can develop more authentic relationships with the student. The same could apply for an administrator or teacher who has a "problem" colleague. What I want to do is to explore the actual anthropological reasons why the resulting relationships actually increases Catholic Identity of schools. Of course, the answer is somewhere in the Trinity and the dialogue between self, other, nature, and God (SONG)...but I want to go even deeper. I will be re-reading your article and studying it more intently.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Teaching

I Wish I Knew What Catholic School Identity Was

Our Students are More than Just their Grades