The Story of "Jesus and Me"


“When did you first encounter Jesus?” I didn’t ask it; one of my ninth graders asked it. And she didn’t ask me this question; she asked it to the whole class. Every fifth day or so we play a game; I ask my students to stop taking notes and to stop worrying about tests and grades; they need to just be still with themselves and with each other. Practice sharing and listening. Practice Loving and being Loved by each other. On a basic level, we are making affective that which we have been studying in the vacuum of the classroom. We are practicing the Authentic Self…not just studying it.
                “When did you first encounter Jesus?” she asked the class. It is the question I always wanted to hear in this “game”, but would never ask it myself. It is the one question that has to come from a student for the ensuing conversation to be genuine. All I can do is create the space where they feel free to ask the question and to respond with their own genuine, unique story. Not all students have had an encounter with Jesus; I tell them my own story of how it wasn’t until I was 19 or 20 before I had a real encounter with Jesus. Everyone’s story is important, though, even if they do not have one. What is really important is that we feel free to share and we feel the importance of listening.
The Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St. Nicholas in Galway, Co. Galway, Ireland. If Veronica never had anyone to tell her story to, her own Faith might have died. Certainly her testimony for us would never have survived. (Photo P. Smith).

                Nearly all of my students shared their own, personal encounter with Jesus. I could feel their empowerment. I could sense the pride and relief they felt as they shared what is, perhaps, the most important event in their life.  We have to create this space for our students to talk about their relationship with Jesus. They desire to talk about it. They want a place where they can share their journey. The story of “Jesus and Me” loses its meaning if we do not share it; as teachers, we need to make it so it is accepted to share the story of “Jesus and Me.” Maybe this is what we mean by “Catholic Identity”. Maybe the whole thing I write about in this blog of developing relationships with God and each other is really about having a place where our students not only encounter Jesus who is the meaning of their life; unless our students have a place where they can talk about their encounter…their story can be quickly forgotten. That one question…the dozens of stories that followed…this was perhaps the most important thing I have ever witnessed in my vocation as a teacher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Teaching

I Wish I Knew What Catholic School Identity Was

Our Students are More than Just their Grades